Free / Reduced Meals Application
2020-2021 Child Nutrition Program Benefits
(Free and Reduced School Meals Program)
Applications for the 2020-2021 Child Nutrition Program Beneifts (free/reduced meals) are now available!
- You MUST reapply for benefits each school year.
- If you wish to receive additional assistance for school fees or transportation, the Consent for Disclosure form must also be completed and submitted. This optional form does not have to be sumbitted at the same time as the application, but will speed the process if they are completed together.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for all charges incurred during the time that their student is not covered by Child Nutrition Program benefits (free/reduced meals). Please contact our office with questions.
HOW DO I APPLY?
There are three ways to complete an application. Choose the method that is most convenient for your household:
- Complete an ONLINE APPLICATION through Skyward Family Access. For instructions to complete the online application CLICK HERE.
- DOWNLOAD and PRINT a copy of the application from our website. CLICK HERE
- PICK UP an application form at the Administrative Offices, 35200 W 91st De Soto, (beginning July 8) OR any USD 232 school (during enrollment).
¿Habla español? Copias en papel traducidas disponibles en todas las escuelas y en USD 232 District Offices. Las herramientas de traducción también están son aviable para descargar AQUI.
I'M DONE. HOW DO I SUBMIT MY APPLICATION?
Submit the online application (through Skyward Family Access) or turn in the completed paper application in one of the following methods:
Preferred Methods due to COVID-19:
- Mail the completed application to our office at Student Nutrition, USD 232 De Soto, 35200 W 91st St, De Soto KS 66018.
- Email a scanned copy of the completed application to our office. Please send scanned applications to MDMiller@usd232.org for processing.
- Please note, due to confidentiality regulations, we cannot accept a faxed copy of a completed application.
Other Methods of Returning (please note these may take longer to process):
- Return the completed application to your student's school office (NOTE: due to COVID-19, please only drop off at enrollment). It will be delivered to our office at no cost to you.
- Drop off the completed application at our Administrative Offices, 35200 W 91st St, De Soto. Due to COVID-19, you will not be able to wait while the application is processed.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE BEFORE I KNOW THE RESULTS OF MY APPLICATION?
Per Federal law, our office has ten (10) business days to process all applications after they are received. Please allow at least two (2) business days before inquiring about your submission.
HOW CAN I SPEED UP THE PROCESS?
There are several things you can do when completing your application that will help ensure your application can be processed quickly and efficiently.
- Ensure all household members are listed on the application.
- Ensure all income is listed on the application including child support, SSI payments and other regular income not related to employment.
- Be sure to sign your application before submitting it to our office.
- Provide a valid email address to allow us to deliver your determination letter directly to your inbox right after we process your application! This also saves on postage and material costs for our district.
TAF/FOOD ASSISATNACE RECIPEIENTS:
If your family receives Food Assistance (SNAP benefits card), Temporary Assistance to Families (TAF) or you host a foster child, initial letters will be mailed to households on file beginning July 13, 2020. Please do not complete a separate application. If you have not received a printed letter from our office by July 20, 2020, you may call our office at 913-667-6200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about your student’s benefits. Please note that to qualify for any fee or transportation discounts, your household must complete the Consent for Disclosure every qualifying school year.
If you need assistance completing the application or have questions about the process, please contact our office at 913-667-6200 or email email@example.com.
- You MUST reapply for benefits each school year.
Verification of eligibility: Your eligibility may be checked by school officials at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send information to prove that your child should get free or reduced price Child Nutrition Program benefits. Applications selected for verifications are done so randomly. Additionally, USD 232 Student Nutrition will verify applications that meet any one of the following criteria:
- The application provided an income of $0.
- The household submitted >1 application for the current school year.
- The total household income is <$100.
- Application material is unclear or questionable (i.e., is it a 4 or 6).
- External information provided to the Student Nutrition Department questions the integrity of the application.
- Applicant provides information that does not match the completed application.
Any household selected for verification will by notified by the Student Nutrition Department.
Fair hearing: If you do not agree with the school's decision on your application or the results of the verification, you may wish to discuss it with a school official. You may also ask for a fair hearing. You can do this by calling or writing:
Alvie Cater, Assistant Superintendent
35200 W 91st Street
De Soto, KS 66018
Confidentiality: The name of a student and his/her eligibility status for Child Nutrition Program benefits may be disclosed without consent to persons directly connected with the administration of:
- Federal education programs
- State health or education programs administered by the State or a local education agency
- Federal, State or local means-tested nutrition programs with eligibility standards comparable to the Child Nutrition Programs
Information about a student's eligibility status cannot be released to any program, other than those listed above, unless a signed Waiver of Confidentiality is obtained from the student's parent or guardian. The Waiver of Confidentiality may be included on the Application for Child Nutrition Program benefits, or it may be provided on a separate form.
Re-application: You may apply for free or reduced price Child Nutrition Program benefits at any time during the year. You may want to apply at a later time because of a decrease in household income, an increase in family size, unemployment, or if your child become eligible for Food Stamps, TAF or FDPIR.