Early Childhood Peer Model Program
*Enrollment information below
Peer Model students are typically developing children who are included within the USD 232 Early Childhood classrooms as models for children with disabilities. All children benefit from multiple opportunities to interact with their peers and learn appropriate social behavior, and play skills from one another. Instruction within classrooms will be differentiated to meet the needs of all children in the program.
Morning (3-year-old) Program: Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, 8:15am to 11:20am (car loop begins at 8:05am and 11:10am)
Afternoon (4-year-old) Program: Monday through Friday, 12:40pm to 3:30pm (car loop begins at 12:30pm and 3:20pm)
A Peer Model student must demonstrate age-appropriate skills in the areas of play, social, behavior, speech, language, adaptive and motor. The following are requirements for peer model students:
- Resident of USD 232, De Soto School District OR Child of current USD 232 employee
- Three years old before August 31st of the current school year
- Independent self-help skills
- Initiate play with other children
- Follow directions with minimal prompting
- Age appropriate speech sound production*
- Age appropriate expressive and receptive language skills (e.g. uses a minimum of three-word phrases)
- Understand concepts such as big/little, on/off, wet/dry
- Maintain consistent attendance
- Not be kindergarten-eligible (age five before September 1st of current school year)
Peer model spots are limited.
--- 2020-2021 Peer Model Enrollment ---
There are currently spots available in both the morning (3-year-old) section and afternoon (4-year-old) section. Please contact the Belmont Elementary office at 913-667-1810 or Andrea West at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.