Domains of Instruction
Independent Living Skills
Instruction in this domain will occur through a simulated apartment living experience. Skills directly taught will be:
- Food Planning and Preparation
Skill training will occur in actual businesses or industries which are likely to employ students with cognitive disabilities. Upon completion of the Bridge program, students wil be awarded an Employability Skills Certificate which lists skills the student has mastered. The skills taught will be:
- Community Classroom
- Job Development Skills
- Job Seeking Skills
- Maintaining Employment Skills
Students will receive instruction and experiences related to their community. The students will explore and participate in their community with support from the Bridge staff. Skills taught will be:
- Eating out
Specific Skill Development
Students will be encouraged to attend post-secondary classes in order to experience the same order of academic/personal progression as their same-aged peers. Staff will work with students to determine appropriate classes and provide the support the student would need to develop the skills. Students would be expected to pay any tuition costs for enrolling in skills training classes.
Johnson County CLEAR Classes (CLEAR--College Learning Experience, Activities and Resources)
- CLEAR provides a full range of classes each semester based on student input. The social integration of the CLEAR students and other JCCC students will continue to provide a valuable learning experience for everyone.
- A variety of classes are taught each semester ranging from basic skills, physical conditioning and arts and crafts to enrichment and practical living skills.
- All classes are held on the JCCC campus. Two seven-week sessions of classes are offered on Saturdays each spring and fall semester.
Students will have age appropriate Personal Interaction Skills.
- Provide information of upcoming events in the community to help facilitate personal relationships/social interactions.
- Encouragment in the process of planning personal events, parties and social gatherinings.