Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian:
As you know, the graduation ceremony will be held Saturday, July 25, 2020, at 2:00 pm in the Main Gymnasium at De Soto High School. This letter is intended to inform you of important information about upcoming events and the graduation process.
Friday, July 24, 2020
Senior Breakfast & Awards Ceremony
- Breakfast begins at 8:00 am in the Auxiliary Gymnasium (please have RSVP’d to email@example.com by July 15th, payment will be collected at the door).
- The awards ceremony begins at approximately 8:45 am
- You will receive parking instructions via Skyward/e-mail/website/Principal’s Message.
- Rehearsal will begin 15 minutes after the end of the awards ceremony – approximately 10:00 am.
- All Seniors must report to the Theater
- Attendance is mandatory at rehearsal
Saturday, July 25, 2020
- Students report to the Auxiliary Gymnasium no later than 12:30 pm. Enter the building through the north student entrance doors only (closest to the Union). All other doors will be locked!
- REMEMBER YOUR CAP AND GOWN! No guests will be allowed in the building until 12:30 pm
- The graduation ceremony begins at 2:00 pm (approximately 1 hour in length).
- After the ceremony, report to Auxiliary Gym to pick up the diploma.
Graduation may be the most prestigious event experienced by a graduating senior. In order to make the event a memorable experience for all in attendance, please remember the following:
- Commencement is a formal and dignified ceremony in which our students are honored for their accomplishments.
- Attendance is strictly voluntary and students who attend are expected to follow the expectations of the ceremony. Seniors choosing not to attend should contact the office immediately.
- Students have a right to a transcript, but not to a diploma. The school can withhold a diploma for unacceptable behavior leading up to and during commencement or any other obligations that need to be addressed.
- There is a time and a place for celebrating one’s achievements. DHS Commencement should be recognition of the collective achievements of the graduating class to be cherished by all in attendance.
- Students are expected to dress appropriately.
- Caps and gowns may not be altered in any way. No exceptions.
- Students may only wear Honor Society provided stole and/or honor cord that is earned and purchased through Herff-Jones.
- Students need to arrive at DHS promptly on the day of the ceremony with cap and gown. If pins are needed to keep the cap in place, students should bring their own. Faculty members will check for appropriate attire.
- The exterior doors to the building will be opened for guests at 12:30 pm.
- Only those with tickets will be allowed (exceptions cannot be made) to enter the Main Gym. Ticket holders include all family/siblings and friends regardless of age. Please know we must adhere to the ticket system in the gym. All others will be sent to the auditorium (for the live broadcast) until full. In addition, the district will live stream the graduation outside of the building.
- In order to protect the dignity of the ceremony, there will not be a place for family members to stop the student procession to take pictures on the way to the Main Gymnasium
- Pictures will be taken by Interstate Studios during the ceremony as students cross the stage.
- Each family will receive a free 8”x10” color photo.
- The photos will be posted within 10 business days of graduation.
- Additionally, you have the opportunity to schedule a more formal picture session with Interstate and have pictures taken at their site.
- Only save seats for your party (not exceeding 8 - including parents/siblings per student). Please be courteous and sit closely. Saving seats is not an option after 1:30 pm.
- After the ceremony, visitors may greet graduates in the Auxiliary Gymnasium.
Interpreter services are available only upon request. Please contact the DHS office. Handicap seating will be located on the floor of the Main Gymnasium for Commencement. We will provide handicapped parking on the south side circle of DHS and will provide golf carts to assist with the walk. Maps/diagrams will also be provided.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this event, please contact the office at (913) 667-6250. Please know we will continue to work through this process and we will continue communicating. Check our website (Graduation Link) for information. Thank you for your support.