Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian:
Graduation is quickly approaching! As you know, the graduation ceremony will be held at 10:00 am, Saturday, May 20, 2023. Our plan is to hold the ceremony outside, on the football field. In the case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held in the Main Gymnasium at De Soto High School with limited attendance. This letter is intended to inform you of important information about upcoming events and the graduation process.
Friday, May 12, 2023
- Senior students will need to pick up their cap/gown/stole and check-out form in the commons during lunch
- Seniors with shortened schedules need to arrange to pick up in person at this time.
Friday - Wednesday, May 12-17, 2023
- Senior final exams
- Attendance is mandatory according to student schedules.
- Students are not expected to attend blocks 4 and 5 on May 16th or 17th if they have already completed their final exam and all required class work.
Tuesday or Wednesday, May 16 or 17, 2023
- Seniors must turn in the district-provided MacBook/charger to the Media Center after the last final exam.
- Seniors must turn in a completed check-out form to Mrs. Miller in Student Services. Diplomas will not be issued without this completed form being turned in to Student Services.
- Seniors must complete the Skyward Survey in order to receive the 7 tickets for guests to attend a possible indoor ceremony.
Wednesday 17, 2023
- Senior Awards Ceremony
- The awards ceremony begins at 7:00 pm in the Performing Arts Center at DHS.
- DHS will communicate ahead of time with all students/parents that will be receiving an award.
Friday, May 19, 2023
- Senior Breakfast – Senior students only, begins at 9:00 am
- Graduation Rehearsal
- Rehearsal will begin after breakfast – approximately 9:30 am.
- All seniors must report to the Aux Gym
- A decision regarding inclement weather and the ceremony location will be announced at rehearsal.
- 9:30 – 10:30: Attendance is mandatory at rehearsal and Senior Send-off Assembly
- Senior Send-off Assembly: 10:30-11:30,
- Gradfest:11:30 – 2:30
- Immediately after Senior Send-off Assembly.
- Planned for the outdoor athletic facility at DHS: lunch, games, and prizes.
Saturday, May 20, 2023
- Students report to the assigned location no later than 8:30 am. More information will be given during rehearsal.
- REMEMBER YOUR CAP AND GOWN! Plan to put your cap and gown on at DHS.
- No guests will be allowed in the facility until 8:30 am.
- The graduation ceremony begins at 10:00 am (approximately 1 hour in length).
- After the ceremony, report to the assigned location to pick up the diploma.
- Seniors still competing in spring sports will receive their diplomas after the equipment/uniforms are turned in and cleared by coaches.
- Diplomas can be picked up from Mrs. Miller in Student Services until June 5.
Graduation may be the most prestigious event experienced by a graduating senior. In order to make the event a memorable experience for all in attendance, please remember the following:
- Commencement is a formal and dignified ceremony in which our students are honored for their accomplishments.
- Attendance is strictly voluntary and students who attend are expected to follow the expectations of the ceremony. Seniors choosing not to attend should contact the office immediately.
- Students have a right to a transcript, but not to a diploma. The school can withhold a diploma for unacceptable behavior leading up to and during commencement or any other obligations that need to be addressed.
- There is a time and place for celebrating one’s achievements. DHS Commencement should be a recognition of the collective achievements of the graduating class to be cherished by all in attendance.
- Students are expected to dress appropriately.
- Caps and gowns may not be altered in any way. No exceptions.
- Students may only wear the stole and/or honor cord that is earned and purchased through Jostens, or provided by DHS at Senior Awards.
- Shuttle services and staff assisting with golf carts will be available to accommodate families in need.
- Students need to arrive promptly on the day of the ceremony with their cap/gown/stole. Please wait until after you arrive to put on your cap and gown. If pins are needed to keep the cap in place, students should bring their own. Faculty members will check for appropriate attire.
- The exterior gates/doors to the facility will be opened for guests at 8:30 am.
- If indoors, only those with tickets will be allowed to enter the building (exceptions cannot be made). Ticket holders include any family/siblings and friends, regardless of age. Please know we must adhere to the ticket system in the gym. We will live stream the graduation outside of the building for those not able to attend: https://www.usd232.org/Domain/3876.
- In order to protect the dignity of the ceremony, there will not be a place for family members to stop the student procession to take pictures.
- Pictures will be taken by Interstate Studios before and during the ceremony immediately after students cross the stage.
- After the ceremony, visitors may greet graduates in the parking lot.
Interpreter services are available only upon request. Please contact the DHS office.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this event, please contact the office at (913) 667-6250. Please know as we will continue to work through planning for this event, we will continue to send communication. Check our website (Graduation Link) for information. Thank you for your support.
This year, senior students have the opportunity to customize their graduation stoles with custom embroidered activity patches. Included below is the patch ordering platform.
A few details:
- The deadline to order patches will be Friday, April 14th.
- Patches will be delivered with caps and gowns (date to be announced).
- Each patch has an adhesive back for easy application to the stole.
- Important!!!! The “tackiness” will allow for up to 3 applications in case you choose to move the patch.
- Students will be given a short tutorial on applying patches at the gown delivery.
- The student will also order their cords on the same platform.
If you have questions, please contact our graduation partner Jostens:
Jostens of Northeast Kansas
ORDER PATCHES AND CORDS HERE:
Senior Wildcats and Families,
Congratulations! You have made it to the spring semester of your senior year. There are 59 more school days until the Class of 2023 graduation ceremony on Saturday, May 20th. Use these remaining days to be involved and connected with DHS and other members of the Class of 2023.
One of the most important things you can do to be successful academically is to attend school. Regular attendance and addressing your remaining tasks will help to end your time here on a positive note. The schedule of important senior events can be found on our website (here).
We want to inform you in advance of several items related to the graduation ceremony. In keeping with the school’s tradition, the event is conducted as a formal and dignified ceremony in which students are honored for their accomplishments related to De Soto High School. As a result, no regalia recognizing outside achievements or postsecondary plans will be worn during the ceremony. Additionally, caps and gowns may not be altered in any way.
New this year and in keeping with the intent of recognizing students for their efforts at DHS, we will allow students to customize their stole with the official logos of the activities they participated in while at DHS. We have worked with senior students, activity sponsors, and Jostens to create this new opportunity for our students. The only customization of stoles that will be allowed will be the addition of logos designed for and purchased through Jostens. The only cords allowed will be the Honor cords (White, Silver, Gold) earned and purchased through Jostens. Look for communication before the end of February about how to order your cord and activity logos.
Student attendance at the ceremony is voluntary and those who attend are expected to follow the expectations of the ceremony. Seniors choosing not to attend should notify the school office as soon as possible. While students have a right to their official transcript, they do not have a right to the commemorative diploma. The school can withhold a diploma for unacceptable behavior leading up to or during commencement.
Please do not arrive the morning of graduation expecting to deviate from these expectations. Doing so creates stress, frustration, and hard feelings on a day that should be about celebrating your special achievement.
We look forward to celebrating you and the Class of 2023.
Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian,
As we begin to look ahead toward the holiday season, we are reminded just how quickly time passes. The month of May is not as far off as it may seem, and we want to share information with you regarding the Class of 2023 graduation ceremony.
As you are aware, the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2023 is scheduled to take place on May 20, 2023. Our current plan is to have the ceremony at the De Soto High School stadium. If we can hold the ceremony outside, we will not need to limit attendance or require tickets. If inclement weather is possible, we will have the ceremony in the Main Gymnasium at De Soto High School. If inside, we will need to limit attendance and each student will be provided with 7 tickets. The ceremony will also be live-streamed. The decision will be made and communicated 24 hours before the scheduled start of the ceremony.
The ceremony will begin at 10:00 AM. This change from previous years will allow our senior swimmers the ability to participate in both the Kansas State Swim meet and our graduation ceremony.
As in the past, De Soto High School views the graduation ceremony as a time to collectively recognize our seniors for what they have accomplished as students at DHS. Students will not be allowed to wear regalia celebrating accomplishments outside DHS or recognizing post-secondary plans.
New this year, a plan is in place to allow students to customize their graduation stole with the logos of official DHS activities they participated in while a student at DHS. Look for more information in February.
The Senior Schedule for May 2023 is included. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions.