National English Honor Society (NEHS)
The National English Honor Society recognizes the academic accomplishments of America’s high school students and promotes their continuing interest in the English Language Arts.
NEHS is the only high school honor society exclusively for students of English. As such, it provides a unique opportunity to engage students, teachers, and local schools in the valuable experience of discipline-related national honor-society participation.
The National English Honor Society is about students!
Membership is an honor bestowed on students selected for their accomplishments in the field of English and in overall academic achievement. NEHS provides recognition for past achievement, the nurturing of present interests, and encouragement for future success. NEHS is the organization for students who have experienced the power of literature, the pleasures of good writing, and the excitement of language studies. For these students NEHS provides:
- national recognition for outstanding achievements;
- enlightened involvement in the English experience, especially through non- classroom participation;
- distinction on college and job applications; • opportunities to develop leadership skills; publication opportunities; and
- a means to link with other students, locally and nationally, who share similar interests.
- Candidates for membership must have been in good-standing attendance at the school the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- NEW candidates must have completed the equivalent of four semesters of English prior to induction as members. No freshman or sophomore students will be admitted.
- Candidates must have achieved an English grade point average of 4.0
- Candidates must have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- The application process will require candidates to demonstrate their desire to be a member of NEHS.
- Any member whose grades in English drop below the chapter’s minimum admission requirement shall be dismissed from NEHS membership. Such members may be readmitted when current minimum membership criteria are met.
- Members must pay a one-time membership fee ($35), which includes national dues to be paid to the NEHS.
- Make checks payable to Mill Valley High School
- Members are expected to attend all meetings of the NEHS, including ceremonies.
- Members are expected to help plan and participate in NEHS sponsored events and activities.
- Members are expected to represent the NEHS in a positive manner and conduct themselves with the highest integrity.