Graduation Information - Updated 5/15/2022
May 15th, 2022
Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian:
Graduation is quickly approaching! As you know, the graduation ceremony will be held Saturday, May 21st, 2022 at 7:00pm at De Soto High School. This letter is intended to inform you of important information about upcoming events and the graduation process.
Friday, May 13th, 2022
- Seniors receive their Check-out Sheet during lunch
- Pick up cap/gown in the Union during lunch
- Seniors with shortened schedules need to arrange to pick up in person at this time. Enter the front Main Entrance
- Senior Breakfast – students only
- RSVP and money is due by Monday, May 9th, 2022
- $5 per person, payable to DHS. Payment may be sent to the office
Wednesday, May 18th, 2022
- All senior final exams completed by the end of fifth block
- Attendance is mandatory according to student schedules
- Seniors must turn in the Checkout Sheet* and complete the survey. *Diplomas will not be issued without this completed form turned into Student Services
- Senior Awards ceremony to begin at 7:00PM in the Performing Arts Center (we will notify all students and parents of those receiving an award)
Friday, May 20th, 2022
- Student only Senior Breakfast at 9:00am in the Auxiliary Gymnasium
- Attendance at Graduation Rehearsal and Senior Send-off are required for students participating in the ceremony
- All Seniors must report to the Aux Gym at 9:30am for graduation rehearsal
- Senior Send-off will begin at approximately 10:30am
- Seniors will be dismissed to Gradfest at approximately 11:00am
Saturday, May 21st, 2022
- Students report to the Aux Gym no later than 5:30pm. Enter the building through the north student entrance doors only (closest to the Union). All other doors will be locked!
- REMEMBER YOUR CAP AND GOWN! If the ceremony is inside, no guests will be allowed in the building until 5:30 pm
- Graduation ceremony begins at 7:00pm (approximately 1 hour in length)
- After the ceremony, students will report back to the Aux Gym to pick up the diploma
- Seniors still competing in spring sports will receive their diplomas after equipment is turned in and cleared by coaches. Diplomas can be picked up (from Mrs. Miller) in Student Services until June 3rd, 2022
Graduation may be the most prestigious event experienced by a graduating senior. In order to make the event a memorable experience for all in attendance, please remember the following:
- Commencement is a formal and dignified ceremony in which our students are honored for their accomplishments.
- Attendance is strictly voluntary and students who attend are expected to follow the expectations of the ceremony. Seniors choosing not to attend should contact the office immediately.
- Students have a right to a transcript, but not to a diploma. The school can withhold a diploma for unacceptable behavior leading up to and during commencement or any other obligations that need to be addressed.
- There is a time and place for celebrating one’s achievements. DHS Commencement should be a recognition of the collective achievements of the graduating class to be cherished by all in attendance.
- Students are expected to dress appropriately.
- Caps and gowns may not be altered in any way. No exceptions.
- Students may only wear the NHS provided stole and/or honor cord that is earned and purchased through Herff-Jones.
- Students need to arrive at DHS promptly on the day of the ceremony with cap and gown. If pins are needed to keep the cap in place, students should bring their own. Faculty members will check for appropriate attire.
- The exterior doors/gates to the building will be opened for guests at 5:30 pm.
- If the ceremony is inside, only those with tickets will be allowed (exceptions cannot be made) to enter the Main Gym. Ticket holders include all family/siblings and friends regardless of age. Please know we must adhere to the ticket system in the gym. The district will live stream the graduation outside of the building.
- In order to protect the dignity of the ceremony, there will not be a place for family to stop the student procession to take pictures on the way to the Main Gymnasium/Stadium
- Pictures will be taken by Interstate Studios during the ceremony as students cross the stage. To order other graduation photos visit: https://interstatestudiopublishingco1.shootproof.com/gallery/DHS2022/
- The photos will be posted within 10 business days of graduation.
- Additionally, you have the opportunity to schedule a more formal picture session with Interstate and have pictures taken at their site.
- Only save seats for your party (not exceeding 7 - including parents/siblings per student). Please be courteous and sit closely. Saving seats is not an option after 6:30pm.
- After the ceremony, visitors may greet graduates in the parking lot.
Interpreter services are available only upon request. Please contact the DHS office. Handicap seating will be located in the stadium or if inside, on the floor of the Main Gymnasium for Commencement.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this event, please contact the office at (913) 667-6250. Check our website (Graduation Link) for information. Thank you for your support.
The document below includes several updates to the schedule for senior students during the last few weeks of school. The changes were made in collaboration with student leaders in the senior class.
The Senior Awards have been moved to the new De Soto Performing Arts Center at 7:00 PM on Wednesday, May 18th.
A student-only, Senior Breakfast is planned to take place at 9:00 AM on Friday, May 20th, before graduation rehearsal.
Graduation rehearsal will begin in the Aux Gym at 9:30 AM and end in the Main Gymnasium on Friday, May 20th.
An all-school assembly (Senior Send-off & Class Day) will be held at 10:30 AM on Friday, May 20th, to celebrate the Senior Class.
Attendance at graduation rehearsal and the Senior Send-off Assembly that follows is required for participation in the graduation ceremony on Saturday.
November 3rd, 2021Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian,As we begin to look ahead towards the holiday season we are reminded just how quickly time passes. The month of May is not as far off as it may seem, and we want to share information with you regarding the Class of 2022 graduation ceremony.As you are aware, the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2022 is scheduled to take place on May 21st, 2022. Our current plan is to have the ceremony at the De Soto High School stadium. If we are able to hold the ceremony outside, we will not need to limit attendance or require tickets. If there is the possibility of inclement weather, we will hold the ceremony in the Main Gymnasium at De Soto High School. If inside, we will need to limit attendance and each student will be provided with 7 tickets. The ceremony will also be live-streamed. The decision will be made and communicated 24 hours before the scheduled start of the ceremony.The ceremony will begin at 7:00 PM. This change from previous years will allow our senior swimmers the ability to participate in both the Kansas State Swim meet and graduation.The Senior Schedule for May 2022 is attached to this email. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions.Thank you,
Sam RuffPrincipal, DHS