Dear Graduating Senior and Parent/Guardian:
Graduation is quickly approaching! As you know, the graduation ceremony will be held Saturday, May 18, 2019, at 11:00 am in the Main Gymnasium at De Soto High School. This letter is intended to inform you of important information about upcoming events and the graduation process.
Tuesday & Wednesday, May 7 & 8, 2019
- Seniors receive their Check-out Sheet during English classes.
Friday, May 10th, 2019
- Pick up cap/gown in the Union during lunch
- Seniors with shortened schedules need to arrange to pick up in person at this time. Enter the rear student entrance doors (closest to the Union).
- Senior Breakfast
- RSVP and money is due by this date
- $5 per person, including graduates, payable to DHS. Payment may be sent to the office.
Thursday, May 16, 2019
- All senior final exams completed by the end of the fourth block.
- Attendance is mandatory according to student schedules.
- Seniors must turn in the Checkout Sheet* and complete the Google Survey in order to receive the 8 tickets for guests to attend the ceremony. *Diplomas will not be issued without this completed form turned into Student Services.
Friday, May 17, 2019
- Senior Breakfast & Awards Ceremony
- Breakfast begins at 8:00 am in the Auxiliary Gymnasium (please have RSVP’d and paid by Friday, May 10th)
- The awards ceremony begins at approximately 8:45 am
- You will receive parking instructions via Skyward/e-mail/website/Principal’s Message.
- Graduation Rehearsal
- Rehearsal will begin 15 minutes after the end of the awards ceremony – approximately 10:00 am.
- All Seniors must report to the Theater
- Attendance is mandatory at rehearsal
- Information concerning Senior Fun Day is included in this mailing.
Saturday, May 18, 2019
- Students report to the Auxiliary Gymnasium no later than 9:30 am. Enter the building through the north student entrance doors only (closest to the Union). All other doors will be locked!
- REMEMBER YOUR CAP AND GOWN! No guests will be allowed in the building until 9:30 am
- Graduation ceremony begins at 11:00 am (approximately 1 hour in length).
- After the ceremony, report to Auxiliary Gym to pick up the diploma.
- Seniors still competing in spring sports will receive their diplomas after equipment is turned in and cleared by coaches. Diplomas can be picked up from Ms. Evans in Student Services until June 6.
Graduation may be the most prestigious event experienced by a graduating senior. In order to make the event a memorable experience for all in attendance, please remember the following:
- Commencement is a formal and dignified ceremony in which our students are honored for their accomplishments.
- Attendance is strictly voluntary and students who attend are expected to follow the expectations of the ceremony. Seniors choosing not to attend should contact the office immediately.
- Students have a right to a transcript, but not to a diploma. The school can withhold a diploma for unacceptable behavior leading up to and during commencement or any other obligations that need to be addressed.
- There is a time and a place for celebrating one’s achievements. DHS Commencement should be recognition of the collective achievements of the graduating class to be cherished by all in attendance.
- Students are expected to dress appropriately.
- Caps and gowns may not be altered in any way. No exceptions.
- Students may only wear the NHS provided stole and/or honor cord that is earned and purchased through Herff-Jones.
- Students need to arrive at DHS promptly on the day of the ceremony with cap and gown. If pins are needed to keep the cap in place, students should bring their own. Faculty members will check for appropriate attire.
- The exterior doors to the building will be opened for guests at 9:30 am.
- Only those with tickets will be allowed (exceptions cannot be made) to enter the Main Gym. Ticket holders include all family/siblings and friends regardless of age. Please know we must adhere to the ticket system in the gym. All others will be sent to the auditorium (for the live broadcast) until full. In addition, the district will live stream the graduation outside of the building.
- In order to protect the dignity of the ceremony, there will not be a place for a family to stop the student procession in order to take pictures on the way to the Main Gymnasium
- Pictures will be taken by Interstate Studios during the ceremony as students cross the stage. To order other graduation photos visit: https://interstatestudiopublishingco1.shootproof.com/gallery/DHS2019/
- Each family will receive a free 8”x10” color photo.
- The photos will be posted within 10 business days of graduation.
- Additionally, you have the opportunity to schedule a more formal picture session with Interstate and have pictures taken at their site.
- Only save seats for your party (not exceeding 8 - including parents/siblings per student). Please be courteous and sit closely. Saving seats is not an option after 10:30 am.
- After the ceremony, visitors may greet graduates in the Auxiliary Gymnasium.
Interpreter services are available only upon request. Please contact the DHS office. Handicap seating will be located on the floor of the Main Gymnasium for Commencement. We will provide handicap parking on the south side circle of DHS and will provide golf carts to assist with the walk. Maps/diagrams will also be provided.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this event, please contact the office at (913) 667-6250. Please know we will continue to work through this process and we will continue communicating. Check our website for information. Thank you for your support.
Commencement exercises will include those students who have successfully completed requirements for graduation as certified by the high school principal. No student who has completed the requirements for graduation shall be denied a diploma as a disciplinary measure. A student may be denied participation in the ceremony of graduation when personal conduct so warrants. Students and parents of students who wish to participate in commencement must agree to the following rules and regulations in addition to any reasonable rules as may be necessary to insure a solemn and dignified graduation for the graduates, the families, and the school:
- All seniors who expect to participate in the commencement exercise must attend all practice sessions and remain for the duration of same.
- Each male graduate is expected to wear dress shoes, socks, dress pants, and a collared shirt.
- Each female graduate is expected to wear dress shoes. A dress or dress slacks should be worn under her gown.