The Johnson County Museum, located at 87th and Metcalf in Overland Park holds a special program each month called Sensory Friendly Mondays. It is held the first Monday of the month from 9:00 a.m. to noon. During sensory friendly times, changes are made to the museum’s exhibit spaces, including KidScape, with the intention of helping make the museum more accessible and enjoyable for children with ASD and sensory challenges. This limited-occupancy session is designed specifically for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders. The Johnson County Museum and KidScape welcome visitors of all abilities and museum experiences to enjoy in a comfortable, low-sensory environment.
These changes include:
- Offering sensory bags to be used during your visit
- Offering a sensory-friendly map, visual checklist, and social narrative guides to the museum and KidScape, which are also on our website at https:/jcprd.com/1686
- Offering additional signage to assist in navigation and aid in understanding Museum rules and expectations
- Having fewer guests than normal
- Having a designated quiet space
Price: $6 per adult, $4 per child
Upcoming dates: January 9th, February 6th, March 6th, April 3rd, May 1st
This program is offered in partnership with Britain Development, a program of Advent Health Shawnee Mission. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged. For questions or to register a group, please call our reservation line at 913-715-2570.
Sensory Monday Flyer